Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day!


Happy May Day!
This is a special day for my Mom and I. When I was very little, five or six, my teacher showed us how to make a May Day basket. She told us to fill it with flowers, leave it on the doorstep, ring the doorbell and hide. When the person answered the door, you jumped out and yelled,"Happy May Day!" So I did. I guess my Mom didn't understand the whole May Day thing, because she was not happy that I was hiding after ringing the doorbell. Something about doorbell ditch? I came out of hiding crying and sniffling, pointing to the flowers and doing my best to explain. Once she understood we tried it again and it was nice. Now each May Day we honor eat other with some kind of floral gift. This year I made a small quilt with paper pieced flowers. It was awesome! She (and my Dad) never saw it coming, BIG surprise, early in the morning. Yeah, it made my whole day to see her smile.

1 comment: